Skip to main content

The Customer (S)Care Departments

I received a call this morning. I had a hearty laugh after that.

Somehow, all of a sudden, numerous customer care representative (tele-callers) from various banks, mobile companies, investment firms, and so on have flocked my cell phone – luckily all girls (a soul saving gesture) with voices varying from that of Lata Didi to Rani Mukherjee to Amrish Puri.

Handling tele-callers from customer care department has always scared me. However, at times, dealing with customer care representatives has been fun. I, whenever my mood and time permitted, have tried to give them a hearty break from their monotonous, lethargic routines.

The call that I received this morning was from some institution dealing in online share trading, DEMAT accounts etc.

She: Good morning Sir, I am calling from XYZ. Do you have a DEMAT account sir?
Me: Good morning Ma’am. Yes
She: Aap kiska DEMAT account use karte hai Sir? (Whose DEMAT account do you use Sir?

Well, she must have meant which institution’s account I use. However, I was in some mood to lighten myself. And I replied thus…

Me: Mein khud ka hi DEMAT use karta hoon Ma’am, kisi aur ka kyon use karoonga (I use DEMAT account of my own, why would I use DEMAT account of someone else?)

I started laughing loud. The girl was a sport too. She joined my hilarious roars, as well, and hung up few seconds later.

I was traveling from home to office, rejoicing the morning conversation. I was not repenting it, in any way. I remembered similar calls that I had received last week.

A young lady, possibly could have been a slim pretty girl, with a sweet voice blended with a vernacular dialect, called me to sell a credit card of a bank. I kept conveying my disinterest and my belief in ‘I-will-never-use-credit-cards’ (earlier usages had given me rides of suicidal abnormalities – piling debt, recovery calls/threats..ssshhh).

She: There is an amazing offer. You will get …
Me: I am not interested
(After about 3 minutes of verbal tussle)
She: Sheyy…ye log saale sunn ke bhi nahi leta. Hum itne mehnat se phone karte hai. Humari bhi nokri hai yaar (Damn…these people are not ready to listen also. We take so much effort to make calls. This is our job).

I could hear her frustration-dipped-mumbling as I was about to disconnect the call. I felt little sorry for her. I do get emotional sometimes. The momentary emotional atyachaar is better to handle than financial crisis due to credit cards; sediments of emotional sentiments would eventually whither away, automatically.

The same evening, I received another call from some other credit card company. I got ready for the introductory verbiage, which all customer care department use, irrespective of the services they offer.

My heart knocked at the doors of my brain, and asked it to behave, reminding me what I had done earlier that morning. I decided to listen to the executive patiently and be as sympathetic as I could.

The customer care executive, a fine young lady again, explained the services, offers, benefits, terms & conditions, and other details to me. She went on for next 10 to 12 minutes; the entire battlefield of verbal conversation was open to her to make all sorts of shots of me. My only defence was “Hmm”, “Aaha”, “Accha”, “Nice”, “Cool” sporadically spread over the entire conversation; and a sigh of relief at the end of her verbal ballistics.

She: Toh Sir mein kabhi bheju humare representative ko form leke, aapke sab documents toh ready rahenge na? (Then Sir when shall I send our representative with the form, you will keep all your documents ready, right?)
Me: Well Ma’am, I appreciate the details you gave me. You have been very kind and patient in explaining your services to me. However, I do not use credit cards and hence I may not want to avail this offer. Thank you very much.
She: Arey to pehle bolne ka na interest nahi hai wo, itna time kyon waste kiya hamara. (You should have told that to me earlier that you are not interested, why did you waste so much of our time).

I got two reactions to two identical issues, both reactions extremes of each other. For a while, I thought, all these customer care executives suffered from bipolar disorder. I stood there confused about “how should a customer react then?” “Customer is king”, really?

Here is one more, the most hilarious experience that I had last year with the customer care department of our very own desi MTNL. I had subscribed to MTNL Triband – lightening fast broadband connection.

I get MTNL broadband 2Mbps speed, I am excited and I am happy (till date). Auspiciously (yes, I can say that), there have never been any major issues. There were rare discrepancies sometimes though. They delivered what they promised. However, as all services get disrupted someday for some time, at least, MTNL too face some failure (recovered in 4 hours, mind you), and I called up their customer care.

Let me remind I had called up the MTNL customer care, don’t expect the 20 somethings (no young ladies with nectar-doused tongues to talk sweet) to take your call and greet you pleasantly. Typically the environment there would be some Sathye bai talking about some Joshi Kaku and a supervisor Tiwari shouting in the background at some linesman Dubey.

Here goes the conversation.

Me: Hello Madam, Good afternoon.
Lady (40 something, and I give respect to elders, hence Lady and not She): Haan bola (yes tell me)
Me: My name is Amol and my phone number is XXXXXXX, I have been facing some problems with my internet
Lady: Hmmmm
Me: Can you please direct me to some technical person
Lady: problem kay jhalay, modem chya 4 light petlayt ka (what is the problem, are the 4 LEDs on the modem blinking?)
Me: Madam, sagla nit ahey, pun ping hoth nahiye kontich site, page cannot be displayed error yetoy (all is ok, but I am not able to ping any site, and I am getting the page cannot be displayed error)
Lady: modem bandh karun chalu kara 5 mintani (switch of the modem and put it ON after 5 mins)
Me: me karun pahile tey, LAN cable sudha disconnect karun parat connect keli, PC suddha restart karun pahila (I have tried that, tried LAN connection and restarting the PC as well)
Lady: Laptop vaparta ki computer (are you using a laptop or a computer) [I never knew these two could be different]
Me: Uhhh…Laptop (I was totally pissed off)
Lady: Window (not Windows ok) konta ahey, 98, 2000 ki XP (which version of Windows are you using) [Bill Gates will be terribly happy that people till today still do mention Windows 98, hahahaha]
Me: Vista, Windows Vista
Lady: Visshta, navin ahey kay, tey amhala shikavla nahi ajun. Aye Pournima (or may be Premila) aplyala ajun Visshta sangitla nahiye na ajun (Vista! Is it new? It has not been taught to us yet. “We haven’t been taught Vista yet”, the lady confirmed with her fellow colleague)
Me: Ok, thank you madam

The issue somehow (I still don’t know how) got resolved after 3-4 hours automatically. It was frustrating but it was fun, I still get a brisk smile on my face and sometimes load of laughter when I remember or narrate the incident to someone.

I am laughing, now as well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is simply simply hilarious. I have also gone through many such incidents. Handling customer care is one big tactic.
Anonymous said…
We love this style of your writing, absolutely humourous and good mix of english, and vernacular. The descriptions, adjectives for certain things you use is truly personified.
Nikhil said…
Too good. Even I was laughing throughout the post. But I tell you some of such humor calls are a must in our busy routine(Not the nagging calls of cos). What say????
Anonymous said…
Most of the times, I attend such calls, it is good break from the routine that we follow, listening to them, getting to know what is going on in the market. But it is disheartening to turn them down eventually.
Anonymous said…
We need to understand that should not be the person that we should get agitated with. He or she is just doing his or her duty, simply because they are asked to do as doing that feeds their stomach. It is pretty rude to write such stuff about them.
Rajan said…
'voices varying from that of Lata Didi to Rani Mukherjee to Amrish Puri',
'I-will-never-use-credit-cards',
'frustration-dipped-mumbling',
'nectar-doused tongues'

what amazing phrases you have coined, simply creative.

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago