Skip to main content

Ring-aa-Ring-aa Roses

I remember, as a child, and then many years later, seeing small children playing this game of forming a round chain holding hands, and singing “Ring-aa-Ring-aa Roses”, turning round in circles and then jumping down onto the ground. I see a similar situation today, when I keep browsing through the news channels for proceedings on the recent 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attacks. Yet, still I do not see anything concluding and convincing. The political leaders, both ruling as well as those in the opposition, along with Pakistan, US, and many other countries, security agencies, intelligence units, media have formed a similar round human chain, merrily singing tunes of hatred, cooperation, agitation, and running in circles. I just wish that they collapse soon. At least, some one more capable would rise and bring things into action.

Almost a month now, and we still are playing around the proofs that we have, Pakistan blows them off, we go to US and other nations for help, and things again start from square one with ministers discussing something with foreign delegates in some closed chambers. And the media pitches in for everything under the pretext of exclusivity. When do we see any concrete action?

There are debates and allegations being exchanged across the political parties keeping in mind the 2009 general elections. Mr. Yashwant Sinha proudly tells on a news channel that the UPA government has miserable failed in handling the recent Mumbai terror attacks. He answers Karan Thapar confidently that had he been there he would have taken some massive steps already and that what has to be done tomorrow should have been done yesterday. What is stopping him? He doesn’t offer solutions and his proactive suggestions just because he or his party is not in power? Is that more important than the nation? Shouldn’t he, as a citizen of India, constructively contribute in fighting against terror? If he had felt that the right time to do something was ‘yesterday’, why he dint raise his solution yesterday and wait until today for someone to ask him.

Mr. Antulay provokes unnecessary chaos by bringing in the killings of our brave police personnel. The time wasted in that useless debate could have been used to concretely plan out an action agenda to bring the guilty to justice. If Antulay thinks himself as so matured an intellect, why doesn’t he come up with propositions to fight terror or improving the defence mechanism of our country. And now, Antulay has backed off his remarks, stating he was convinced with the reports submitted regarding Karkare’s killings. Making baseless comments to come into limelight is the best chosen hobby of our politicians. Actually the whole problem is the “oldies lot”, as they say in Hindi, “buddha satthiyaa gaya hai”, seems to true in case of our country’s political leaders. Why do we even allow people of 79, 80 to govern us? Bid them goodbye as soon as they turn 58 or 60, may be.

Another issue was who will defend Kasab and there were huge debates on this. Why does he need a defence lawyer when his crime was witnessed by many all across the globe? Morally strong people backed off to defend Kasab and few generous came to help out Kasab claiming that it was his legal right. The debate starts and some more days are wasted in this. Okay agreed that every accused can have a defence lawyer. However, there is also a provision, which states that the accused can defend himself, in case he cannot find a defence lawyer. Whatever be the case, there was surely no need to take this on a national debate. If the law says Kasab must have a defence lawyer, give him one and order the lawyer just to say “no questions my lord”, and finish it off, just stand there for sake of designation, don’t throw questions, don’t raise objections.

The most stupid node in the chain is media, which has sensitised and heightened the emotions – fear, angst, tragedy, and most importantly the war hysteria. Media picks up only few words from a statement and makes it a headline, further terrorising the situations. The overall coverage of the entire proceedings after the terror attacks has been exemplified so much out of proportion that it almost seems like a war like situation. Read the article, “India-Pak leaders keep cool, journos talk war”, and you will know what the sane experts are talking. Imran Khan, former cricketer and one of the political leaders in Pakistan, also has a point to make, he opines that the entire issue should be handled more seriously with the right heads sitting to discuss and take action, rather than circulating it through the media.

Everyone is talking, we need some results now, it’s almost a month, and we still haven’t been able to crack anything out of it. We definitely don’t want a war, we already are going through an economic recession, and a war will make us slide down further. War has never been a solution. India is pressuring Pakistan, and Pakistan is provoking India back. The more this blame games continues, more time will those terror elements have at hand to further disrupt peace. Terror groups have announced their support to Pakistan against India, this is precisely what the terror organisations want, their strength would increase if a war was to happen, and the entire nuclear arsenal will be under their control. I would rather love to see India and Pakistan unite to fight that terror group which today claims to support Pakistan. Pakistan is already in turmoil and facing hardships – economically as well as their internal inadequacies, the country would surely be washed off in event of a war. Also, there will innocent people on that side of the border as well, we cant slaughter and kill them just because they are Pakistanis or Muslims. India looks stable, growing, shinning today, but war would not only put it on a backtrack but also make it more vulnerable to other threats – what if China seizes the opportunity and attacks from the easy, claiming right over Arunachal. War is not going to help either of the countries; it will rather lead us to further destruction. Please let us not have any more wars.

I sincerely hope and pray that next year dawns with a message of peace, love, and brotherhood.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2009.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes Amol, you are correct, we do not want a war, it is destructive
Anonymous said…
how long are we going to be slaves of that pakistan, how many more proofs are we to give them. bombard that country and finish it off once and for all
Anonymous said…
Media shoould be banned, there is no professional and responsible journalism today
Anonymous said…
good article
Anonymous said…
My dear sane friend, if war is not the solution, you dont you offer some fantastic practical and better solutions then. India, politicians, and people like you will never imporve, they will keep blasting our cities and you all will keep talking or writing.
Anonymous said…
Firstly, we dont some USA as a mediator to settle our disputes. Who are they???
Our politicians are of no use anyways irrespective of their age. Ofourse war is not the solution, but we surely need some sensible people from both countries to sit across & sort the problem.
I'm sure we have people who have ideas to resolve/tackle such problems and situations.
Anonymous said…
Hi Mr.Anonymous who have scribbled here on 24/12 the last one right before I tip.

Well atleast this boy took some pain to write something worth while NOT accusing anyone but putting something which all know but dont dare to put it clear. I think he is right, well the best someone can do is VOTE to the right people and if we dont find DONT VOTE! Help the needy educating some kids around.
Anonymous said…
Bhai have u seen “WEDNESDAY” movie that will be the solution
Anonymous said…
Hi,

Firstly let me congratulate you on your 100th post, I understand it took a long time (Feb 06-Dec08). Yes, the journey has been slow, but thoroughly enjoyable. I have been regularly following your blog for the variety of your topics, detailed research & insight, and subtly rebellious point of views - which dont harm none. Your coverage and over understanding of an issue is comendable. Though I would love to see a bit more mature writing standard from you and you can walk all the way to Booker ceremony. A collection of your blog can be a good publishable material, for e.g the Alladin story, Shikha's tragedy, Broken Vase, and so on.

Keep writing and you will learn the way through. I dont see you far away from be a published author very soon.

Loved your posts on movies as well, I am a movie buff too :-)

March ahead friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Down The Memory Lane - The Times of DD

The weekend was bad, rather not so good; my back ache had buckled me to the bed, not allowing me to stay in one position for more than 4-5 minutes. I was surfing through the television channels lying on bed, and soon I noticed that I was doing nothing but going from 0 to 54 (that is the only number of channels I have on my television) and then again 0 to 54, and then again and again. I was tired watching that Indo-Pak terror debate, reality shows were irritating me, and I couldn’t handle any more breaking news with my broken back, neither was I interested in any kind of saas-bahu or the rona-dhona type of soaps, south Indian films dubbed in hindi were a big NO, I was in no mood for business news either, I had also had enough of Ghajini and Rab Ne trailors, songs, and reviews. I remember, only thing that possibly kept me glued to any particular channel was the advertisements – Limca (I love this ad for its jingle, the zing, and the babe, of course), Raymond, Bingo , few insurance

The Tormenting Tale of TimesJobs

Important: Please read my earlier post on Timesjobs.com . The reference to context will then be simpler. My experience with Timesjobs.com has been vexatious. It has almost turned out to be like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" . If Emily saw ghosts at 3am in the morning, I would often wake up with the nightmare of Timesjobs.com personnel (mostly a Sonia Oberoi or Rekha Singh) asking me if "I am in the right job" or someone else offering me a "Citibank Credit Card" Yes, a credit card indeed. Timesjobs.com itself is out of job or providing jobs and hence has started selling credit cards - IRONY, I surmise. All my attempts to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from their job alert and mailing services have failed, to the extent that I wrote to YAHOO to please have my email address either deleted or changed (I will post a screen-shot of a reply from YAHOO SECURITY TEAM in my next post). However, I still made a brave, despondent attempt to "UNSUBSCRIBE" f

Existing In Chaos

50 days! I have been spinning in hectic schedules of work and a strenuous life of intermediate intensity. I have had hardly anytime to catch up with the news, especially at this time when elections are just around the corner. During all these frenzied days of my work life, I have terribly missed Karan (Thapar), Rajdeep, Arnab, and Udayan & Mitali (Mukherjees), of course. Yes, I did catch up with the Oscar ceremony and the hyped Slumdog jazz though. I am exhausted now. I tried to squeeze in some time yesterday to go through the recent political news (I wasn’t interested in what is happening to Kasab or was eager to know about India’s heroic cricketing triumphs). I pulled out some news archives from various websites, newspapers, and did watch news channels for whole three hours yesterday. I liked the oath taking Lead India 09 campaign, I liked Aamir’s representation to think better for this country in one another Lead India campaign, I loved the awareness and initiatives that Jaago